Forgiveness, an area in my life where God has really been dealing with me quite severely. It is easy to talk about it, but actually going through with it is the hardest part. So I decided to take my time and learn about how i can do it, mainly because it is such an important aspect in my walk with God and I was just tired of holding on to my pain, i was tired of being a slave to it. It was time to let it go!
Forgiveness is about you and your heart, Matthew 5:8 says: “Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God.” Proverbs 4:23 “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” Pastor Tom Deuaschle spoke about this just this morning (lol, when God is subbing you big time in church) he said, “We harbour emotions when we do not know how to release and forgive others to avoid the inevitable destruction of our heart.” When you have unforgiveness your heart is full of bitterness, resentment and anger and that is not good for you, in fact you become “dis-eased” literally. When we keep our hearts pure we have more clarity about what God wants us to do. So how do we keep our hearts pure?
- By choosing not to take offence, yeah, you can do that sometimes. Choose your peace, even if it means you’ll look weak or too soft, protect your peace and look the other way.
- Choose mercy over judgement James 2:13 says, “Because judgement without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgement.” God wants us to offer others the same mercy he has given us, Matthew 6:12 Amp “And forgive our debts, as we have forgiven out debtors [letting go of both the wrong and the resentment].” Matthew 6:14-15 says, “For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly father will also forgive you. But if you don’t forgive others their sins, your father will not forgive yours…” Yea, i know, i know, it’s such a hard pill to swallow, like when i heard/read that i was like but God, that’s not fair, you don’t even know what’s been done to me and He said, what about what you do to me, what about the many things I have forgiven you, surely you were not deserving, but i did anyway. Forgive them too, let it go, surrender it all to me. Which brings me to the third thing…
- Release your offences to God, he is your vindicator. Tell him, God it hurts, it’s painful, i didn’t deserve it, but i trust that you are my vindicator and you will fight for me. Don’t hold on to the pain and become a slave to it, hold on to God and conquer it. Ephesians 4:26-27 “In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you’re still angry, and do NOT give the devil a foothold” The devil just luurrrves chaos, anger and discord among God’s people, he thrives in it, do not give him the victory, he doesn’t deserve it! “God can break the cycle of pain and use the situation to bring others to him.” Which takes me to my 4th point….
- This one is not easy, in your own strength you may not be able to do this, that’s why you need God’s strength and the Holy spirit to take over. You need to put on the face of Christ and look past your pain but to the reason why the person that offended you did that, where they were hurting so much that they’d do that and pray for them. Right, i know, i know, vice Jesus gwans-that’s why i said it’s not easy, but you can do it, you can have that Christ-like mind, our carnal minds may not comprehend this, but there is much reward in doing this, so seek help from God, pray about it, read the word and the instruction it’s giving on how you can get to this place.
- Ask God to reveal to you the issues causing bitterness in your heart.Look in his word, learn how to have a mind like Christ. It is not easy when you think about it, but when you decide to trust God with that situation, the peace that will prevail will surpass all understanding.
When we are offended or deeply hurt by the people around us the seemingly easy thing to do is to hold grudges, hold on to that pain, tweet about it, slander the offenders, change whatsapp statuses or seek revenge whatever seemingly more hurtful things we do these days (which do not ease your pain by the way). However, revenge is not ours, it is God’s, surrender it to Him, resist the urge to take control of it because in the end it will destroy your heart. God has called us to be beautiful beings with pure hearts, and NOTHING is worth losing that. It’s not easy, it doesn’t happen overnight, it may still hurt, but begin today to give it to God, do yourself a favor- forgive.