Hello beautiful people! In my last blog post I promised I would share with you a little bit about the journey of creating my fashion design brand called “Thabile”.
My passion for fashion dates back to when i was a little girl. Growing up I used love playing around with my barbie dolls’ dresses, but i’d often get frustrated by not being able to make new clothes for them (I was not allowed anywhere near needles). So I decided to improvise, so I’d cut out figures of girls from cereals boxes then cut out diffrent outfits for them using the different parts of the outside of the box. This allowed me to change around their outfits, sometimes even hair. As I grew older and we started doing sewing lesson in primary school I’d always be “improving ” the clothes my parents would buy for me into something i thought was more exciting (no offense to their taste in fashion). I once turned my pyjamas into a skirt and a crop top and in my eyes it was a perfectly great outfit to go out in, lol. Later on into high school I designed my first dress for a friend of mine who was getting confirmed (confirmation is a Catholic church ceremony that signifies the strengthening of one’s faith). It was the first time I sketched something and it came out just as I imagined, we were both pleased with the results and I’d later go on to design my prom dress.
In my early twenties I signed up for a fashion show that was held at New Life Covenant Church, it was such a great experience, you’d think I’d have been inspired to continue,but life happened and I let the dream fade. For many years I allowed the goliaths in my life to taunt me and get me to believe in myself and the gift God had given me less and less. I knew and conceptualised what God had said about who I am in Him and the plans he had for me, but I was not convicted of this enough to step out in faith and trust him to lead me. It took work, I had to shift my mindset and I quickly learnt that the world does not stop for you to get your act together and God is not short of people he would like to use to show his glory. So here are a couple of lessons I learnt along the way together with some practical things I had to do to align myself with his word:
- Get to a place where you seek to really know God in a very intimate way, know and meditate on what He says about you and why He created you.
- We have all had things spoken over our lives that are not true, that we hold on to, words of rejection, failure and defeat. Cast those onto the cross, replace each negative word spoken over your life with the truth about what God says instead. This can be a difficult and long process, you may need someone you can open up to about this that you can be accountable to, and that you can pray with.
- Cut out all the negative noises in your life, including people that do not build you up and nor encourage you. God will repalce them with the right people .
- Do not lose sight of the dream, pray about it, learn about it and seek wisdom for it. Ask and you will receive, He will give you.
- Boldly step out in faith, trusting in the word you receive.
- Remember it is not about you, but it is ALL for his glory!
Why do I say repeat? Because the word does not say the weapons will not be formed, but it says those that are formed against you will not prosper. So no, it’s not going to be rosy, you will have to constantly be seeking His face and He will reveal more and more of himself to you as you do. You will need his promises on your life as swords to fight of the world’s negativity. You will need to focus on the goal, strive for excellence and at every turn remember you are only but a steward of whatever it is He has given you and it is ALL for His glory!
Here are some scriptures that can help:
Deuteronomy 28:13; “The Lord will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day…”
Philippians 4:13; “I can do all things through him who gives me strength”
Isaiah 54: 17 “No weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accusses you…”
The exciting thing about this journey is that you are not on it alone, you have the creator of the universe as your guide and Jesus as your travel buddy and biggest cheerleader. So if you have something you feel you are called to do and are not doing, step out, let’s fail, let’s win and most importantly let’s have faith together! You can!
Pants: Gift from a friend
Belt: Ali express